Working from home, that’s the dream, right? How many times have you thought “I want to work from home”? Think about it… you wake up in the morning and by the time your coffee is ready you’ve already reached your workplace. Sounds crazy, I know, but this is not some kind of weird fantasy story, this is real life and with some planning you could introduce it into your lifestyle.
Working from home is not only an advantage for employees, but also employer. As they save money on rent and equipment, paying only for “virtual space”, such as a Cloud and professional chat software.
Working from home is obviously desirable, but we want to warn you, this is a timesaving position that can present obstacles. These barriers should not be underrated and should be considered before committing to a remote job.
How to work from home
Working remotely is very tricky, because at home you have distractions. Laundry to do, kids to mind and that stupid window leak! Separating professional and private life is not easy at all and these distractions could drive you crazy if not approached the right way. Working remotely shouldn’t be a way to deal with private life during working hours. It should be considered as a privilege and a great way to not spend hours stuck in traffic to reach a physical office.
Another painful aspect of working remotely is the lack of human contact. In fact, you’ll have to deal with written language and video conferences that sometimes may have poor quality internet connection.
It’s a lot of information to take in, right? But, at the end of the day, what are the best work from home jobs in 2020? We definitely have to mention the Freelancer writer, the Software developer, the Web or graphic designer, the Translator. Obviously finding the job won’t be easy and might require some time, but make sure to follow our 5 Easy Steps to Find a Job Abroad, to help with the process.
With the wide selection of jobs that allow for remote working, we have put together some helpful tips on how you can make working from home best suited for you.
How to succeed with remote work
Once you accept the distance with the real world during the work hours, working remotely will give you more time to spend with your family and friends. Let’s go through the best practices to follow to properly work from home.
- Make sure you picked the right country. Not all countries will allow you to work from home. For more information check our article about How to Decide Where to Live Abroad.
- Make sure you communicate clearly with your remote boss. Remember, interactions face to face are very rare, so it’s very important to clarify targets and goals beforehand.
- Visit the physical site of the company you work for. Don’t forget that you are part of a community so go and meet your colleagues. Interacting with them will help you to create a better network.
- If you can, work for multiple companies part time rather than one full time so to “diversify” your source of income. In the case you won’t be needed by a company anymore, you’ll be able to rely on income coming from multiple sources.
- Be professional in your communication. Whether it is face to face, over the phone, video call or just a chat never forget to be clear and polite.
- Plan your work properly to make sure to respect deadlines. It’s easy to get lazy when working from home. Make sure to achieve your targets on time. Employers are less patient when it comes to firing remote workers!
- Make sure you have the right tools. Buy all the best tools on the market, don’t try to go cheap. To do a good job you always need good tools. Same thing goes with internet connection. You do not want your remote meetings to be ruined by weak signal!
This guide went through all the best practices and skills you’ll need to respect and to perform perfectly when working from home. Combine all of the above, be professional and a bit of luck for the best remote job. But don’t forget, the perfect remote job is there, behind a corner, you just need to grab it! Best of luck!